Settling into "Normal"

It's hard to believe we are going on one month into this crazy adventure of becoming an instant family of 5.  Part of me feels like this is the way things have always been, like it was meant to be. Then there are the times where I step on one of the millions of toys scattered throughout our house, or skin my finger for the zillionth time on those stupid child cabinet locks,  or wake up the "Mom...hey Mom" through the baby monitors and it still seems so new.   Yesterday was one of those days where I just kept thinking over and over again, "Is this really my life now?"  Reality is trying very hard to set in. 

Many of you have been asking how things are going.  Last week was our first week trying to return to our new normal.  After 2 weeks off, Paul returned to work and "stay at home Mom" became my official title.  I have to admit, I wasn't exactly sure how I would like this new gig....would the days be long?  Would I be too tired to function or care?  Would I go crazy trapped inside a house all day by myself with 3 toddlers or be crazy enough to try to take them all out somewhere?  After a full week I am thrilled to say that I think I will make the cut.  It went surprisingly well.  For starters, I have a pretty fantastic husband who has volunteered to get the kids up in the morning, diapers changed, breakfast fed, and teeth brushed all before handing them off to me for the day.  These few hours in the morning have been awesome and have been come to be known as "Mommy Time" around here since the kids ask Paul every few minutes where I am.  "Mommy Time" has so far consisted of any variation of running, listeing to podcasts, hanging out with God, sleeping in, and ends with a shower.  I have decided between "Mommy time" and "Nap Time" my sanity has been kept. 

The day tends to go by quickly.  The kids play really pretty well together and between snacks, lunches, and naps Paul is home before we know it. As for Paul, transitioning back to work has been going well.  He is busy getting ready for our big winter retreat with the students in a few weeks among the usual weekly tasks so he is as busy as always.  He misses being with our kids during the day, but it makes his time with them in the mornings and evenings all the more meaningful. 

Another aspect of falling into "normal" for us happened this past week.  We finally took the kids to church.  On Wednesday night I stopped by youth group with them and they were greatly loved on by hundreds of excited middle school students.   Then, on Saturday night we went to church together for the first time.  It went really, really well.  We weren't sure how the kids would feel about being "left" in the children's ministry program (JW Kids) but thanks to the awesome staff and volunteers there,the transition was a sinch!  The only tears shed were from kids who didn't want to leave.  On the way out the door our oldest actually put her hands on her hips, stuck out her lip, and declared she was not leaving.  She liked church.  We had to smile on the inside and out. 

So all in all, things here are going well.  It's really as though the kids were meant for our family, and we believe they are.  God brought them to us in a way outside the norm, but our love for them is significant because it ultimately comes from Him. 
Paul's Sunday afternoon nap looks a little different these days!
My awesome new purse.... I mean, diaper bag.  Love this thing!
Fun in the kitchen while Mom tries to cook....





Comments

  1. So nice to read about your family. :) Thanks for posting all this for all the world to see. I'm a foster-to-adopt mom from a different state, but I can relate to so much of what I read about in your story!! The emotional ups and downs, the placement, the whirlwind nature of it all... it brings back memories of when we brought our youngest into our home. And now we're jumping back into it all again -- our social worker just left our house not long ago. Every story is different, I know... but yours brought tears to my eyes. Memory tears, I guess. Strange to feel connected to people I don't even know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts